This small meal has actually helped me in maintaining my slim figure.
Makhana, also called fox nuts or lotus seeds, is a non-cereal grown in the stagnant water of wetlands, tanks, ponds lakes and ditches. Popular as a fasting food, its health benefits are superior to those of dry fruits such as almonds and walnuts.
Some of the health benefits of makhana are:
- It’s a good source of protein, carbohydrates, fiber and iron.
- Low in calories, it enables weight loss.
Makhana seeds can be eaten raw, roasted or ground. Soaked in water overnight, it can be added to soups, salads or other gravy dishes. The puffed seeds are also used in kheer, puddings and dry roasted snacks. You can also prepare protein-rich rotis.
I am working and don’t get enough time to prepare my meals so I always carry this. How I prepare it:
- 100 grams of makhana
- 1 tsp olive oil/ghee
- A pinch of haldi
- Black Salt and pepper to taste
- In a heavy bottom pan, dry roast the makhana on low to medium heat. It will take about 10 minutes to roast evenly.
- Mix the oil, salt, pepper and haldi. Add to the roasted makhana and stir for a few minutes more, until the makhana are crisp to taste. Allow it to cool completely and store in an air-tight container.